UNDERSTANDING KARATE SHOTOKAN KATA
Been learning Karate Shotokan kata for some time? Tired of practicing kata without understanding it's meaning or usefulness? How does practicing Karate kata makes you a powerful Karateka?
If you want to know more, welcome! This website will serve to make your Karate training an awesome journey of self-enlightenment.
This website focus on the meaning and bunkai (applications) of Karate kata, and the original purpose it was created for, ie. close quarter fighting, though you may call it self defense or self protection in modern day context.
Although there are at least 26 Karate Shotokan kata, this website will focus on only a chosen few, which have many of the most deadly Karate bunkai. Not many Karateka spend a lot of time actually "studying" Karate Shotokan kata, preferring to spend time on developing their physical presentation instead of discovering the cryptic meaning (bunkai) behind the complex arm and legs movements taught by these forms.
This website will provide historically accurate kata interpretation and bunkai, linking kata to effective Karate techniques, including pressure points strikes or the art of kyusho jutsu. I hope the information here will reaffirm the usefulness of Karate Shotokan kata for a Karateka to learn deadly fighting techniques.
Please visit the page on Karate kata videos to download free Karate kata videos for your training and understanding. I have an extensive collection of Karate video clips, street fighting video clips and self defense video clips for you.
View the Karate Shotokan kata videos and see if you can recognize any of the kata movements in my collection of Karate video clips. Since the original purpose of Karate is for fighting or self defense, there is also a page on Karate women and Street Karate, because Karate give women the skills and confidence to overcome dangers from those with criminal intention.
Karate, like any other form of martial arts, should evolve with times. And you should always have a few layers of self protection capability, eg. primary, secondary and backup.
So, there is a page on choosing a self defense product which you can use to augment your self protection capability. Knowing a powerful empty hand combat skill like Karate will definitely give you the extra edge should you decide to carry a weapon for self protection, with both complementing each other quite well.
KARATE KATA REMIND US WHY WE ARE HERE. TO LEARN EFFECTIVE FIGHTING SKILLS.
This website will introduce Kissaki-Kai Karate and provide detail explanation on how and why we are different from the typical JKA or SKIF style Shotokan Karate.
I would like to urge all Karateka to honestly examine why you are learning Karate and are you reaching your goals with your current training regimen or style. Do you want to acquire deadly street fighting techniques from practicing Karate Shotokan kata?
If you want to learn classical Karate for close quarter fighting or self defense as shown in this website, you are most welcome to train with us or attend one of our skill path seminars. Just email me your area of interest and I'm sure you'll have a challenging and enlightening experience learning and training with us.
Finally, please join our self defense forum in Karate Facebook Page and share your views freely. I will also show you the results of few interesting special polls on Karate or other martial arts every now and then. So bookmark this site and come back often.
A powerful Karateka is a complete all-rounded fighter, skillful in atemi-waza (striking), nage-waza (throwing or takedowns), kansetsu-waza (joint-locks & manipulation), shime-waza (choking), ne-waza (ground fighting & submission) and usage of human pressure points (esp pressure points strikes). Learning and understanding the true meaning of Karate Shotokan kata will teach you all that.
Subscribe to our FREE newsletter BUNKAI WORLD and get:
The latest news and articles on classical and modern interpretation of Karate kata, Karate bunkai explanation, Kyusho Jutsu techniques, combative and self defense issues. Subscribe now and get a FREE special article on Kissaki-Kai's hallmark Pyramid of Power and Heavy Hands principles.
- Karate bunkai - understanding the applications of Karate Shotokan kata
- Karate bunkai is the purpose of kata, which is a collection of fighting techniques against common acts of violence. Learn self defense through the bunkai of Heian and Naihanchi kata
- Why so many Karate styles today teach ineffective Karate blocks?
- Which Karate styles really teach you practical street fighting techniques and effective Karate blocks? Listen to your instinct, discard what is useless and you'll survive a real fight
- Karate kata videos, see Naihanchi or Tekki kata - free download
- Download free Karate kata videos for your reference. Use these videos to help you practice and to remember your kata. Download Heian kata videos, Naihanchi or Tekki kata videos
- Karate video clips and street fighting video clips - free download
- Collection of Karate video clips showing Karate bunkai and techniques for fighting. And many street fighting video clips and self defense video clips showing applications against common violence
- Karate drills and Kenpo-jutsu by Koryu Uchinadi
- Awesome Karate drills videos featuring Kansetsu waza, Shime waza, Nage waza, Ne waza, Gyaku waza and Tegumi
- Pressure points strikes - discover Karate deadly fighting techniques
- Karate Shotokan kata contain many secret techniques that teach us pressure points strikes. Kyusho jutsu is the art of manipulating or striking kyusho points to knockout, control or restrain a person
- Human pressure points - information and location of Karate kyusho points
- Learning to strike vulnerable human pressure points correctly is much better than relying on brute strength or fast movement. Descriptions of some kyusho points and kyusho secrets for Karateka
- Kissaki-Kai Karate vs Shotokan Karate - how are we different
- The foundation style of Kissaki-Kai Karate is Shotokan Karate. However we do not train in the same manner as other Shotokan dojo train. In fact there is little similarity between us and JKA or SKIF
- Street Fighting Tips - Detect, Defuse, Defend and ROAR
- Here are some useful street fighting tips covering Detect, Defuse and Defend. I advocate learning to ROAR should a street fight happens. ROAR stands for Recognize, Override, Attack and Run
- Get a self defense product - perfect complement to your Karate skills
- If you've been training in Karate, why get a self defense product? Simple, better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. Use Kubotan Keychains, OC or Pepper Sprays and Stun Guns
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu techniques - the best ground fighting style
- Learn some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu techniques to defend yourself on the ground. BJJ is an art that is practice with aliveness, and proven effective in many reality fighting matches like the UFC
- My Martial Arts Blog (MMA Blog)
- My Martial Arts Blog keeps you updated on this popular website. Read my journal and thoughts on Karate, BJJ, Crazy Monkey Defense & MMA. Subscribe here.
- Core Strength Training - build functional strength, stamina and endurance
- Our core strength training was developed in response to the increasing demand for a low-frills, affordable and effective workouts by those in the know
- Self Defense Forum, Karate Facebook page for Karateka and all martial artists
- Share views on Karate, BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai, MMA or any martial arts in our self defense forum and Facebook page
- Mike Geary ebook – The Truth About Abs Revealed!
- Revealing the Truth About Abs ebook written by Mike Geary.
- 8 Pressure Points Of The Human Body
- When you have the knowledge about human pressure points, you can incapacitate your opponent even if he has better fighting skill.
- Real Street Fighting - 8 Fighting Tips You Can Use Right Now
- The following are 8 real street fighting tips which you can use right away when confronted on the street.
- Street Fighting Uncaged Download - PDF Download Instruction
- If you looking to access Jeff Anderson's Street Fighting Uncaged download page, this article will show you how.
- Somanabolic Download - Muscle Maximizer Step By Step Download Instruction
- If you are looking for the Somanabolic software download page for members, this article will show you the step by step instruction.
- Physical And Mental Development Via Karate Kata
- The Physical and mental development achieved by Karatekas when performing Kata.
- Kissaki basic Karate moves and how we train strikes and blocks
- Issues on basic Karate moves from the perspective of Kissaki Kai Karate and Kissaki Defensive Tactics. Focus on free Karate moves that have high probability of working in the ring or street
- Learning Karate Moves – It’s Like Learning A New Language
- All the Karate movements are alphabets and when you put the movements together, it makes a word and then a sentence.
- Punching Techniques - Should You Keep Your Fist Open Or Close?
- Punching is the most common form of strike in Karate. Even in a street altercation, the same technique is used either in defense or offensive attacks.
- 5 Tips To Survive A Street Fight
- When two equally talented persons engage in a fight, it is always the punches that matter in deciding the victor.
- Street Fighting Psychology - What You Ought To Know
- You should understand how fighting develops suddenly on the streets and how many people actually witness such a street fight.
- Karate Gear For Kids – Essential Martial Art Tools
- Since it is not possible for you to be with your kids all the time during classes, you must ensure that your kids use these gears to avoid any physical injury during training session.
- Okinawan Karate - The Origin Of Karate Martial Art
- As its name suggests, the origin of Karate can be traced to Okinawa, one of the islands in Japan.
- Karate Punch - Understanding All The Elements Of A Perfect Punch
- It has been many centuries that martial art instructor have been busy training their students the most efficient and devastating art in Karate, the punching techniques.
- 7 Ways Martial Art Can Help You To Lose Weight
- Here are seven major reasons why one should practice a martial art for improving physical fitness and reducing weight.
- Weight Loss Martial Arts - Training To Staying Fit & Healthy
- There are a lot of martial art-oriented exercises, one of which can be ideally chosen for cutting down your body weight.
- What You’ll Need To Be A Top Martial Artist
- One of the primary requirements to be a successful martial artist is to have a strong muscular body. To achieve this, you need to shed the extra fat stored in your body.
- Fast Muscle Gain For High Level Martial Artists
- As a high level martial artist, if you really want to build muscles, you should exercise your muscles.
- Xtreme NO Supplement - Fast Muscle Building Supplementation
- Xtreme NO contains proteins that are basic to muscle building. It also acts by cleansing the system of substances that inhibit efficient flow of Nitric Oxide (NO).
- Kung Fu vs Karate – Which Is The Better Martial Art?
- Normally it is not easy to distinguish between Karate and Kung Fu, by merely watching the body movements.
- Strengthening Your Mind With Karate
- This article deals with the subject of Karate martial art, which can be considered as a means to impart education in different fields like sports, art, science, yoga, meditation etc.
- The Dos and Don’ts of Karate Etiquettes
- If you have ever been to a karate school, you will be surprised to find a form of rigid hierarchy prevailing in such institutions, with quite frequent bow-down movements.
- What Do You Need To Get Started In Karate Class?
- In the first stage of training for any member of a new martial arts class he requires an outfit. The type of uniform one requires depends on the method of karate training he has chosen to learn.
- Understanding The Human Body Pressure Points
- In this article, I intend to share some information on Kung Fu and the various terms used in the art so that you can improve your skills and make your defense more meaning full.
- Martial Art Gear – Selecting The Right Equipment
- In this article, I thought of sharing on the subject of the various dresses and protective equipment used by students of martial art schools.
- Practicing Martial Arts For Weight Loss
- To shed off your extra pounds, why not involve yourself in some form of martial-arts like karate, judo, boxing or kickboxing.
- Karate-Do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi
- In this article, I thought of sharing a very interesting book that I read about an iconic figure in the world of Karate, Gichin Funakoshi.
- Black Belt Karate: The Intensive Course By Hirokazu Kanazawa
- Black Belt Karate: The Intensive Course Shotokan by Hirokazu Kanazawa is a style of karate, developed from several martial arts by Gichin Funakoshi (1868-1957) and his son Gigo Funakoshi (1906-1945).
- 6 Essential Martial Art Gears To Keep You Safe
- It is very important to safe guard the important organs of the body which are exposed to blows of the opponent, hence the use of guard is very essential to save the vital organs from getting injured.
- The 6 Basic Segments Of Karate Movement
- The secret in karate which many people do not know, these are segments which are considered basic segments.
- Didi Goodman Kids' Karate Workbook Review
- The Kids' Karate Workbook: A Take-Home Training Guide for Young Martial Artists by Didi Goodman is an important book which can be used by youngsters, to boost up their training.
- Kingz BJJ Gi - What You Ought To Know
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) kimono is the uniform used now like an armor suit that the warriors of yesterdays had worn.
- Karate Conditioning Exercises
- With the right amount of karate conditioning exercises, it will strengthen your body and improve your stamina.
- Self Defense For Women - Using 5 Parts Of Your Body
- Women can use the following 5 body parts as tool for their self defense and protection.
- Karate Martial Art And Its Popularity
- The basic reason is that this art developed because of the basic necessity and was the main weapon for the survival by the peace loving people.
- Karate Weapons - Self Defense With An Edge
- The term weapon in martial art does not indicate an actual weapon but it is a hand held weapon either with an edge of metal or blunt wood.